In order to ensure that your frozen food selections will taste the freshest possible, here are a few guidelines and tips to keep in mind:
- Select packages that are clean and firm and free of cuts or tears. Large amounts of frost may mean that the package has not been kept at the appropriate temperature during storage.
- Make the frozen food department your last stop in the supermarket before checking out.
- Pack all frozen foods together to help maintain their cold temperature.
- Use a cooler or insulated box to place the frozen foods into until you arrive home.
- Return home immediately from the supermarket and place all foods in the freezer.
- Use a permanent marker to put a purchase date on all frozen food products, then rotate foods, putting newly purchased items in the back of the freezer. Use products on a "first in, first out" basis.
- If you only use a portion of the package, quickly remove as much air as possible from the container, reseal and place back in freezer to avoid partial thawing of package.